[DOWNLOAD Word .doc ► Pastor-Elder Covenant]
An elected Pastor/Elder and his wife must read and sign this covenant before assuming their office in ———– ———– church.
I recognize that the task of shepherding God’s people is both a great privilege and serious responsibility. I also recognize that such leadership requires a higher degree of discipline and accountability than might be expected of other church members. I believe that my growth in spiritual maturity will be a direct result of my complete dependence upon God and my willingness to make only wise and obedient choices. In keeping with these convictions, I commit myself to live a life above reproach (1 Tim 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; Jam 3:1; Phil 2:12-13).
The details of such a lifestyle being enumerated as follows:
- I do depend wholly upon Jesus Christ and His death and resurrection for my salvation, and I attest that I am not a recent convert. The highest priorities in my life are to know my Savior and Lord better, trust Him more fully, and obey Him more faithfully (1Tim.3:2).
- I will hold firmly to the trustworthy truth of the Holy Scriptures, so that I can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. In order that I might shepherd well and be prepared to teach accurately God’s Word, I will strive toward the discipline of daily personal study of God’s Word (1Tim 3:2; 2 Tim 4:2-4; Acts 20:28-35).
- I will live in such a way that my life is characterized as temperate, respectable, gentle, self-controlled, upright, holy, disciplined and loving of what is good. I will abstain from recreational or social use of any substance which may master me or become a spiritual stumbling block for a weaker brother. I will not live so as to be characterized as violent, quick tempered, overbearing, or quarrelsome. In these and in every other respect, I will seek to discipline my body, eyes, mind, and tongue so as to grow toward the character of Christ (1 Cor 6:12; Rom 16:21; Eph.5:18; 1 Tim.3:2; Titus 1:6-8).
- I attest that I am the husband of one wife, and I will strive to manage my own family well. I will make every effort to lovingly encourage and spiritually strengthen my spouse, children and parents, recognizing my family to be my most precious earthly responsibility (1 Tim 3:2; Titus 1:6).
- I will not live so as to be characterized as a lover of money, nor will I pursue dishonest gain. Rather, I will biblically steward my income, giving regularly and sacrificially back to the Lord through our local fellowship (1 Tim 3:2; 1 Pet.5:2; Titus 1:7; 2 Cor 8:9; Matt.6:1-4, 19-24; 1 Cor.16:2; 1 Tim 6:17-19).
- I will serve willingly and eagerly as a shepherd of God’s flock at ——- ——- Church, not lording over those entrusted to me, but as an example and a servant to the flock of God. I will regard prayer and ministry of God’s Word as primary responsibilities and will regularly support the people of ——– ——– Church in prayer (Acts 6:2-4; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- I will strive to be hospitable and to maintain a good reputation with those outside the church. I will seek to live in such a way that, by my conduct at home, at work, and in the community, those around me may be able to see Jesus in my life and be drawn to Him. I will also actively share in Christ’s concern for extending the Gospel to the world. (1 Tim 3:2; Titus 1:8)
- In all these things I willingly make myself accountable to my fellow elders and pastor.
I have prayerfully considered all of the above and pledge my faithfulness before God and
the people of ——— ——— Church.
Elder/Pastor Signature Date
I understand that, in my union and ministry partnership with my husband, my character is as important as his in qualification for the leadership of God’s people. I will hold to the above standards wherever they pertain to my own spiritual walk and growth. I attest that I know of no scriptural reason why my husband should not serve in leadership of God’s people and affirm that he is qualified according to this covenant. I will support and encourage my husband as much as I am able, that he might grow in his relationship with Christ and might effectively carry out his responsibilities as an elder/pastor of ———– ———- Church.
Wife’s Signature Date